Thursday, February 26, 2009

Part 9

As Josh ran toward the front door of the hospital, he couldn't get the image of Reva and Jeffrey out of his mind. He needed to get away from them,as far away from them as possible and fast. He was afraid that if he stayed he might do something he would regret. He ran from the hospital and out into the street, not realizing it.
"JOSH LOOK OUT." Billy yelled as he noticed the car heading straight for him.
Josh had just enough time to turn to see the car before he was off his feet and into the air, but not by the car. He landed on the ground like a ton of bricks with something on top of him. His eyes remained closed as he tried to catch his breath. He heard Billy calling his name as he felt the pressure that was on his chest ease.
"Josh you alright." said a sweet soft female voice
"Yeah yeah, I think so." He answered with his eyes still closed
"Anything hurt?"
"Yeah, my head." he said with a slight laugh
"You alright little brother?" Billy questioned as knelt beside Josh.
"Yeah." he said as he slowly opened his eyes
He was shocked to see the woman standing over him. He knew he knew that voice but he couldn't put a face to it.
"Mel, you saved him."
"I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time."
"You know Mel, as hard as you hit me, you could be a full-back." he laughed
"Thanks but I think I'll stick to what I know." she giggled
Josh started to sit up but Mel pushed him back down.
"I don't think so. You stay right there and don't move."
"Mel, really, I'm fine, Just a little headache."
"Josh quit being such a guy and stay still."
"No, I have somewhere I need to be right now." he lied
"Where do you need to be so badly that you won't let Mel check you out." Billy said as a smile came across his face.
"None of your business Billy." he said as he started to get up again
This time Mel didn't stop him. She knew that there was no way she was going to be able to stop him.
"Fine you can go, but if you have any problems, you call me right away. Promise?"
"Yeah I promise."
Mel turned to Billy after they watch Josh walk away.
"What is going on with that brother of yours?"
"I think he got his wake up call today."
She looked at Billy with confusion.
"Don't ask Mel, just don't ask."
****************************************************************************************
Jeffrey now sat in the chair next to Reva's bed, holding a bucket in his lap as she throw up.
"I'm so sorry." she said as she slowly laid back on the bed.
"Will you stop saying that. You have nothing to be sorry for. Plus, I don't mind, and if throwing up on me makes you feel better then bring it on, What the Hell right." he laughed.
She started to laugh as well but quit suddenly and grabbed her head.
"Please, don't make me laugh, my head feels like it's gonna explode."
"I'm sorry.... I'll stop I promise, but I have to admit that I love seeing that smile back on your beautiful face. But right now you need to rest so why don't you close your eyes and try to get some sleep."
"I don't want to close my eyes. If I do I'll see him...."
Jeffrey placed his finger on her lips to stop her from going any further.
"OK, it's OK, you know I would never make you do anything that you don't want to do but.........You alright?" he asked as he noticed her face getting greener.
"Yeah, just a little nauseous still but I'm fine."
"Good, so that means I can put this down then." He said as he held up the bucket.
"Oh you're so funny O'Neill. Now put that down before you make me sick."
He smiled and started to lower the bucket but Reva grabbed it out of his hand and just made it to her face before she throw up again.
"Honey I'm so sorry."
Reva throw him an evil look. One that had the power to kill.
"Hey, I said I was sorry." he smiled
"Take this before I dump it on you." she said as she handed the bucket back to him.
He took it and set it on the floor next to him, and as he looked back at her he could tell by the look on her face that she was having another contraction. Without hesitation he got off the chair and climbed in bed with her and rapped his arms around her as tight as he could. She cuddled up next to him and laid her head on his chest.
"You're doing so good sweety....that it.....just breath."
Tears rolled down her checks, not because of the pain, but because of the fear that each contraction brought with it. The fear that no matter how much everyone was doing, there was no guarantee that they could save their baby.
Without a word from Reva, Jeffrey knew exactly what she was thinking because he was thinking the same thing, but he knew he needed to be strong for her even when his own heart was breaking. She and the baby were all that mattered and without them he didn't know where he'd be. Reva and their daughter had change him in to many ways to count. He was a much better man now and he didn't care what the cost to him was he would try everything he could to make sure Reva and the baby were gonna be alright. And first things first, he needed to get her to sleep, no matter how much she didn't want to he had to try and the one thing that would get her to sleep when nothing else would was his singing.
He let his mind carry him away for a moment to a few weeks ago when she she was so upset about none of her kids being around and how she thought that it was because she wasn't there for them enough when they were little. Now she knew deep down that that wasn't true but a pregnant Reva Shayne let her hormones get the best of her most of the time. Not that it was a bad thing but when it came to these terrible fears of hers that were usually hidden somewhere that she wouldn't even let him go, it usually ended up with her being inconsolable accept by him singing. The night played in his mind. It was a Thursday night and he had worked late so he could have and 3 day weekend with the family. He had arranged for all the kids to come home. Ava and her new boyfriend Matt. Jonathan, Sarah and Jonathan's wife Maddie. Marah and her fiancee Colin (Yes Reva's Colin). Dylan and Harley who were now back together. And Shayne. It was going to be the best weekend that he could have ever given her but it turned into the worst. Each and everyone of the kids had canceled on the same day all for different reasons of course but it was all the same, they weren't coming. And Reva being as strong as she could be, told the kids that she understood at that she would see them all at Thanksgiving but it shattered her heart into a million piece. When he had finally gotten home that night she was sitting outside under the huge oak tree out front, sobbing. No matter what he did that night nothing seemed to help until he started singing to her. He had sang to her for over an hour before she had finally fell asleep on his lap. A smile came to his face as he remembered carrying her up to bed and she never moved a muscle.
Finally coming back to the present he placed his head on top of hers.
"Have I told you today how much I love you?"
"Only about 500 times Jeffrey."
"Well then let me make it 501, I love you Reva."
"I love you too but you know you getting mushy again." she said with a giggle
"I'm never mushy."
"Oh yeah I forgot, you are Jeffrey O'Neill, Mr. Lone Wolf, Mr. No Strings Attached, Mr. Bad Boy......"
"OK that's enough..."
"Mr. Ladies Man." She chimed in
"Alright woman, I get it. Now will you please keep that mouth shut for two seconds."
"Why? Does Daddy Backup need to call in some reinforcements?" she said with a huge laugh
"You're so funny but no. I was actually going to sing to our daughter but if you'd rather make fun of me......."
"No, No, I'm sorry.....please, sing away, She loves to hear her daddy's voice."
"Then lay back and relax."
She cuddled back up to him and laid her head on his chest as he began to sing.
"Love me tender, love me sweet. Never let me go, You have made my life complete And I love you so. Love me tender, love me true. All my dreams fulfill, For my darling I love you, And I always will. Love me tender, love me dear. Tell me you are mine, I'll be yours through all the years, 'Till the end of time. Love me tender, love me true. All my dreams fulfill, For my darling I love you, And I always will. Love me tender, love me true. All my dreams fulfill, For my darling I love you And I always will Always will
(Norah Jones Lyrics to Love Me Tender)
****************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment